“The Real Mom Review is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com."
A real mom of 4 reviewing various products & services with honesty & integrity. From natural beauty products to household items to groceries - the truth - so you can save dollars, time & sanity. No flames, no games, just a real mom reviewing.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Tarte's Lights, Camera, Flashes vs. CoverGirl Bombshell Mascara

It's a Mascara Showdown!
High End Tarte vs. Drugstore CoverGirl
High end mascara and drugstore brand face off
 

Let's look at their brushes...
Tarte's LCF has a new take on the mascara wand. It has shorter bristles on one side, which are supposed to be your first coat...and is supposed to give you volume.
How do I use Tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes mascara

Then, on the other side the bristles are longer, which should be your second coat...and are supposed to separate and lengthen the look of lashes.
Can you see how the top bristles are shorter than the lower bristles?
 
Similarly, CoverGirl LBV has 2 different brushes, which are supposed to give you volume with side 1...
What does the brush look like on CoverGirl Lashblast Bombshell?
 
...and then lengthen with side 2.
 
So which one performs best?
You judge:
Here they are with 1 coat only...
 
 

Which one looks better so far with 1 coat?

And now, after coat 2 was applied...


Now, after 2 coats, which one looks best?
 
Which one do you think looks better? Can you even tell any difference?
 
 
Well, that's CoverGirl...
 
...on your left side in all the pictures!
 
And there's Tarte...
 
on your right side in all the pictures!
Who wins?
Me? I'll be honest with you...
the overall results are pretty much the same, as you can see. So is the wear performance. They apparently have similar formulas, because they seemed to BOTH last, not smudge, flake or transfer. And were similarly hard to remove.
 
However, after using the LBV for a few months, I realized the applicator's handles are so thick and bulky, it makes it kinda hard to get in there to those small outer lashes. Especially on my left eye (I'm right handed). For that reason, I think I'll not be buying LBV again. The LCF won out on that aspect.
 
One thing that I wasn't crazy about with the LCF...trying to find which side had the shorter bristles and make sure I was putting that side to my lashes first. Then twist to put the other, longer bristles through your lashes. And hey, did I twist too far? Am I back on the short bristles? You get the idea.
 
It's good to know though, as has been shown repeatedly, that you can get similar performance from drugstore brands as you can high end brands...and save over HALF the $money$!
I like saving $money$!
 
Interested in more mascara showdowns?
If you'll click on the link to the right of the blog that says "mascara" you can choose from a number of posts where I compared mascaras. I've been surprised several times by the results. I bet you will be too.
 
Disclosure:
I paid for both mascaras. My opinion is my own.