“The Real Mom Review is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com."
A real mom of 4 reviewing various products & services with honesty & integrity. From natural beauty products to household items to groceries - the truth - so you can save dollars, time & sanity. No flames, no games, just a real mom reviewing.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Low Carb, Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets Recipe Your Kids Will Love!

While all my family likes chicken nuggets, my 6 year old daughter LOVES them.
Intensely.
And while I do occasionally buy her the highly processed junk from the local fast food joint, I really prefer to serve her some that I've made myself...and that I can eat as well.
 
So, here's my recipe for Low Carb Chicken Nuggets.
And I hope that you and yours will like them as much as me and mine do!
  

 Ingredients Needed:
1) A pound or two of Raw, Boneless, Skinless Chicken, cut into nugget-size
2) A bag or two of fried Pork Rinds/Skins finely ground in a blender or food processor (trust me, don't think you can get by with simply crushing them by hand...it just doesn't work out)
3) 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
4) 1/2 tsp Onion powder
5) A couple of eggs, beaten
6) Lard to fry in (or bacon grease, or coconut oil) - enough to cover the nuggets half way
 
A note on ingredients:
Most flavored pork rinds/skins have MSG in them. I happen to love and prefer the flavor of  Mac's Salt & Pepper Pork Skins, and they are available at my local Walmart, cheaply. However, for those of you who follow MSG-free diets, I have found that Baken-ets (also widely available), only contain pork skins and salt: See nutrition label here.
Also, McCormick's seasonings are supposed to be MSG free, so going that route would enable you to have these tasty chicken nuggets even if you are following a gluten-free, MSG-free diet.
 
Do THIS!
Heat lard/grease/oil up to a medium high heat (6 out of 9 on my electric stove).
Mix seasoning well into finely ground pork skins.
Dip the cut chicken pieces into egg, then coat them in the seasoned pork skins.
Carefully put the pieces into the preheated hot oil.
After five to seven minutes, check to see if the bottom is golden.
If so, flip the nuggets over and cook the other side for about the same time.
Remove to a paper towel covered plate if you wish to soak up the excess grease.
Enjoy!