“The Real Mom Review is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com."
A real mom of 4 reviewing various products & services with honesty & integrity. From natural beauty products to household items to groceries - the truth - so you can save dollars, time & sanity. No flames, no games, just a real mom reviewing.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Every Woman Needs a Great Razor

Spring is here and where I live in the Deep South, we're already in shorts and even bathing suits on some days.
 
It's an unwritten rule that you MUST spare all others from having to look at hairy legs (or any other parts that ought to be shaved). So even though I shave year-round, I tend to shave a lot more as I wear less clothing. That requires a razor.


I've used lots of razors over the years. Disposable, cartridge, men's, single blade, double blade, triple blade, and then, most recently 5 blade. Yes, five!
 
I got the Schick Hydro Silk cartridge-type razor in one of my beauty boxes last summer. It was my first experience with a 5-blade. I was amazed at how well it shaved. It does do a better job than others with less blades, honestly, although I'm sure you could fairly happily get away with a 3-blade. I don't see myself ever going back to less than a 3-blade, though.
 
Anyhow, I really liked the Hydro Silk. What I didn't like was the cost! A 4 pack of replacement cartridges usually hovers around $18. That's steep to me. I waited for sales & hoped for a chance to buy them again. Didn't happen (at least not that I found out about). So, I settled for the next best thing I could find:
Walgreen's (Wags) 5 Blade Disposable Razor for Women (3 pack). It was on sale for $5 (usually $5.99). It's a 5 blade, so I gave it a try.
The packaging comes in several different designs. This is just 1.
 
It's not quite as good as the Hydro Silk. Here's why:
Hydro Silk - the handle design is easier to grip and more comfy to hold; the moisture beads do a better job than the moisture strips on the Wags razor; it's a cartridge-type which means less garbage in the landfill.
 
Walgreen's 5 Blade Disposable Razor for Women - seemed to dull slightly faster; moisture strips stopped working after only a few uses; handle is less "grippy".
 
How they are the same:
Seemed to shave just as close, seemed to pivot at the head the same amount.
 
Where the difference is HUGE:
WAGS 5 Blade 3 pack - $5.99
Hydro Silk - $18-ish JUST for 4 replacement cartridges
 
I still like Hydro Silk better, so when these turned up in a great multi-pack at my Sam's Club the other day for only $19.98 PLUS an automatic $4 off savings ($15.98 for 7 total blades plus a new razor handle), I jumped at the chance to score my fave at a savings.
 
I don't know how long they'll be around at Sam's for this price, but if you can't score them for some reason, I notice that Walgreen's has a good sale going right now, too:
 
If you just need cartridges, you can pick them up right now at Drugstore.com for $15.49 for the 4 pack.
 
My Bottom Line:
The Hydro Silk is a great razor.
Is it worth it to get the higher brand name razor? 
Only if you can get a great sale price.
Otherwise, the performance is so similar, I'd save LOTS of money and just get the Wags knock-off 5-blade version.
After all, unless you score a deal, you're paying around 3 TIMES as much money for only one EXTRA razor.
I'd rather put that toward a sumptuous shave cream that truly makes a difference, or, better yet, some new makeup or summer clothes!
 
What's your favorite razor? 
 
  

2 comments:

Emily said...

Try the Gillette Power Fusion! It is AMAZING! It vibrates to get a closer shave. Schick Hydro 5 for men (it's blue) gets a VERY close shave too. I didn't have to shave as often with it.

Unknown said...

Wow I def. want to try this out! The more blades the better for me lol!