“The Real Mom Review is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com."
A real mom of 4 reviewing various products & services with honesty & integrity. From natural beauty products to household items to groceries - the truth - so you can save dollars, time & sanity. No flames, no games, just a real mom reviewing.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Avoid this Peanut Butter! Yuck!

Many of you know that I eat low-carb and have for over 2 years now.
I lost from a size 13/14 at my highest to a size 7/8, which I've maintained for over a year and a half.
It's the way I eat now...and forever.
If you want to know more about the way I eat, check THIS POST for more info.
When I recently found this jar of peanut butter on the shelf at my local WalMart, I was excited.
Walden Farms Whipped Peanut Spread
I usually have to buy specialty items like this on the net and pay to have it shipped.
This was only $3-something, so I grabbed it and chunked it in the shopping cart.
A couple of days later, I remembered the new product and got myself a spoonful of it. I joyfully placed it into my mouth...then gagged!
I'm used to low-carb, sugar free, and my tastes have altered quite a bit, in favor of more natural, less sweetened foods. (It's what happens when you stop consuming sugar.) So, trust me when I say that this wasn't a case of "Oh, sugar free stuff is gross!"
I looked into that jar, wondering what on earth this stuff is that it could taste so heinous. It looked mostly like peanut butter, except it had many more air pockets/bubbles, was more "whipped" looking, less solid. But it still didn't look THAT bad.
I spooned out some more and made myself try again. You know I'm willing to take one for the team! Nope, still horrible. I was about to throw the whole jar, minus 2 spoonfuls missing, straight into the garbage. It was in my hand. I was on my way to the trash can. Then, I realized that maybe I could use it in my baked MIMs (muffin in a minute) to give them some texture and SOME peanut butter-ish flavor. So I kept it. I put it in my next batch of MIMs and it DID do okay. Not great, but passable. At least this way, it's not a total loss. I hate waste.
Don't buy this stuff, but DO try this recipe!

Basic/Plain MIM
Spray a mug with cooking spray
Melt 1 Tbsp of butter (or use 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, liquefied)
Beat in 1 egg
Use 1 drop of liquid sucralose (or 1 pkg of Splenda, Truvia, etc.)
1/4 cup golden flax meal (you can use the brown, but most don't like it as well)
1/2 tsp baking powder (not baking soda!)
Dash of cinnamon, if desired (typically leave this out if you "enhance" with add-ins)

Mix thoroughly. Microwave in a mug for roughly 2 minutes (more or less depending on your microwave...when the batter pulls away from the sides of the mug, it should be done).

You can use all kinds of add-ins to enhance this Basic MIM recipe.
One of my favorites: Add 1/2 Tbsp of peanut butter (NOT the Walden Farms Peanut
Spread!), and 1 Tbsp of Sugar Free Caramel flavored coffee syrup (the Torani brand is available at most WalMarts, near the coffees).

Another fave: Add 1 small strawberry chopped small, and 1/4 tsp of strawberry extract or 1 Tbsp of Sugar Free Raspberry flavored coffee syrup.

Another: Add just a few Sugar Free chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp of Sugar Free Chocolate flavored coffee syrup.

Keep in mind, you can multiply these ingredients  by 6 in a mixing bowl and make a full batch of muffins in a 12-muffin tin. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes. Serving size is 2 muffins. Store in the fridge.

Let your imagination be your guide!