“The Real Mom Review is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com."
A real mom of 4 reviewing various products & services with honesty & integrity. From natural beauty products to household items to groceries - the truth - so you can save dollars, time & sanity. No flames, no games, just a real mom reviewing.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pretty Awesome Low Carb Wrap and Crackers: Lavash Bread

I've been eating low carb since April of 2010.
That's 3 YEARS.
Most likely, I'll be eating this way for the rest of my life. 
What I do to make it all work for me, is to find amazing recipes, amazing new foods, and constant support from my friends(you know who you are, ladies!), and even from the online community. I also really like a FREE app, MyFitnessPal, that helps me keep track of things like carb counts, exercise quotas, etc.
I want to introduce you to a little gem I found recently:
Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Lavash Bread.


I spotted it on the shelf just below the deli meats & cheeses, back in the very back of my local Wal-Mart Supercenter (Not where you find lunch meats & cheeses, but at the actual counter service deli). I was looking for "Flat Out" breads, but they didn't have any of the Light version in stock, when I noticed this package thanks to the "Reduced Carb" printed boldly at the top.
 
So I flip it over, check the back. Yep, half of a lavash (which is huge), is only 4 net carbs. That's less than the low carb tortillas I usually buy, which weigh in at 6 net carbs, and are about the same size as half the lavash. 
 
Of course, I picked it up.
 
At home I began experimenting with the lavash bread to see what I could come up with. Naturally it makes a great wrap for fajitas and such (see pic below for suggested ideas). But for some reason, I decided to fry it in butter one day. Can't remember why. But thank you God I did!
 
 
So here's how it went:
Melt 1 tablespoon butter (I used salted) in a skillet on medium/medium-high heat. Throw in the half lavash and saturate both sides with the butter. Keep flipping it over every minute or two. You will notice bubbles begin to rise in it (see the picture), then it will begin to darken up. Don't over do it or you'll end up with burnt lavash!
 
Once it is properly browned and seems crisp, take it out and let it cool for a few minutes on a plate. Then, you can simply break the lavash into crispy little pieces. You may find a few less crisp spots, but for the most part, it ought to be quite crisp. The butter does that. Make sure you don't skimp on the butter, and get it on both sides really well.
 
You can then eat them just like that (they have a very yummy butter flavor just as is), or you can dip them in spinach dip or whatever savory low carb dip suits your fancy.
 
Wonderful!
I so missed crackers, and these really hit the spot.
 
I doubt I'll ever buy the old low carb tortillas (which by the way cost nearly twice as much as these!). I highly recommend giving these a try, but especially be sure to fry it up into a crisp cracker, please!
 
What fabulous low carb products have you discovered?