“The Real Mom Review is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com."
A real mom of 4 reviewing various products & services with honesty & integrity. From natural beauty products to household items to groceries - the truth - so you can save dollars, time & sanity. No flames, no games, just a real mom reviewing.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Reality Foundation with Anti-Oxidants, Not So Great?

My latest Total Beauty Collection arrived recently and in it was a deluxe sample of Alison Raffaele Reality Base Foundation (Skintone 3).
I was excited to try out this foundation that (according to their website, alisonraffaele.com):

Contains "Frutta di Vita(which is)  is our exclusive anti aging, antioxidant complex comprised of Goji Berry, Resveratrol and Pomegranate. A synergistic combination of high potency, high performance anti-aging naturals Frutta di Vita • is the first concentrated Active of its kind to be incorporated into high performance cosmetics. This groundbreaking complex not only works to repair the visible signs of aging but also protects the skin from future damage. Bio-transformed to insure maximum efficacy and ease of metabolism within the skin, Frutta di Vita • delivers unprecedented levels of anti aging benefits never before seen in cosmetics. In other words, all three powerhouse antioxidants have been formulated so they can be immediately used within the living cells of the skin. The complex works to deliver the highest amount of anti-aging benefit in a 12 hour time released formula. That means from the moment you apply your make up in the morning until you take it off at night the product is working to keep your skin healthy and youthful."
 
So, as with most anti-aging products, it would take a LOT of time to see if the anti-aging claims hold up. But it only takes a few minutes to try out the foundation to see how it does as a foundation. So that's what I did.
 
Here are the results of this MATTE foundation test.
You can see the coverage that was achieved on my right cheek if you pay attention to the sunspot in the center of my right cheek. It's not invisible after application of the foundation, but it is covered fairly well.
You can see here (left pic) where I swiped it on at the jaw line (the color wasn't a great match), then blended in, achieving the coverage you see in the right pic. I still see lots of freckles and sunspots.
 
The real test is where I "built up coverage" on my forehead.
While 3 layers of coverage was closer to the coverage I prefer, who wants to put on 3 layers? Not me!
Plus, check out this extreme close up of my forehead. You can see where the foundation settles into my lines. You can also see the slightly "cakey" quality. I don't like that.
For $38, I expect more.
I know from reading other reviews that there are some who love this foundation (you can catch their reviews HERE). Maybe they have flawless skin so they don't need much coverage. Maybe they don't have many lines, so they don't have to worry about it settling in them and making them look more pronounced. Maybe their color matched perfectly and that makes a big difference? Maybe they used it long enough to see results from the anti-aging antioxidants and that made it worth it.
After all, every one's skin is different.
 
As for me and my skin, this one's not a winner.
I'll stick with my $12 Revlon ColorStay Foundation (read my review HERE).
 
Do you know about the Total Beauty Collection?
It's a pay-per-box deluxe sampling service. You get to see what's in the box before you order and decide if you're interested, unlike most of the other beauty box services. I've skipped a few boxes that didn't interest me, but I've enjoyed the ones I've ordered. They're $15 (s&h included) per box. You can find out more HERE.
 
Do you receive TBC or any other beauty box subscription? What's your favorite? Why?