“The Real Mom Review is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com."
A real mom of 4 reviewing various products & services with honesty & integrity. From natural beauty products to household items to groceries - the truth - so you can save dollars, time & sanity. No flames, no games, just a real mom reviewing.

Monday, August 20, 2012

6 Reasons I Don't Like My Sleep Number Bed

I've had my queen size Sleep Number bed for a year and a half. In that time, I've come to realize a number of things about my bed that I wish someone had told me before I sunk big $$ into it. I reckon it might be nice of me to share it with ya'll so you can be aware before you make a decision whether or not you want to sleep on it for the next 10-20 YEARS. Yes, the life expectancy of the Sleep Number mattress is 20 years. That's a big commitment. 

Before I get into the details, you need to understand that a Sleep Number bed is a glorified air mattress with 2 separate air chambers. Do you understand the way an air mattress works? Then you will "get" my explanations below quite easily. If you aren't familiar with the functionality of an air mattress, you may need to stretch your imagination a bit to fully comprehend my reasons.

It's also important that you understand this bit of important info:
If you like your mattress softer, then you must have less air in your side. If you like it more firm, then you will have more air in your side. That's how it works. I prefer mine a medium softness/firmness. Maybe a touch more on the soft side. So I have mine somewhere about 1/2 to 2/3 full of air, I suppose. We didn't opt for the more expensive Sleep Number bed that has the digital readout which tells you what number you have yours set to (1-100). So we have no idea what "setting" we fancy. We just air it up/deflate it until we find the setting that feels right. Now, on to my reasons.

Here are 6 reasons I wish I had not bought it.
  1. My bed always looks saggy and slouch, even old, when it's "made". You will NOT want to air your mattress up fully every morning just so it'll look full & pretty - trust me. So, unless you sleep on a very full/firm setting, your bed will look like this:
  2. When you sit down an air mattress that's not full/firm, your butt goes straight through to the bottom (box spring). It'll feel just like you're sitting on wood. An air mattress only works nicely when you are dispersing your body out fully/level across the whole surface. So, sitting down on your bed is not fun. Unless you happen to be a weirdo who enjoys such.
  3. Thinking along the same lines/reasoning as #2, intimacy (ahem, yes, what you're thinking I mean is exactly what I'm talking about), can be very uncomfortable. Without providing you with TMI, let me just say that substitute "butt" in #2 for "knees", "sitting" for "kneeling", and you will understand why a person would have to go through the inconvenience of needing to stop in the "moment" and air the bed up fully (a mood killer), and then, later, let the air back out so you're not sleeping on a rock. This bed is not conducive to romance, people.
4.     If you sleep alone (my hubby works out of town a LOT), it can be really hard to get the mattress to be effective for you. Here's what I mean: When you roll from your side (your air chamber) over towards the other side (the OTHER air chamber), if it is not full/firm, you will roll off into a chasm, because there is nobody with their body weight dispersed across it. It will feel like a big hole. On the other hand, if you air it up full, it will feel like a wall is in the middle of the bed, because your side is less full. It is possible to find the right amount of air, but it will take a number of nights of trial and error. And then, when your awesome husband comes home, adjusts the bed for himself, then leaves, you go through the process all over again. Sigh.
5.      Kids (or any other people) can come and mess with your settings, throwing you all out of whack and it can take several nights for you to get your bed back to where it works for you. While this isn't a huge deal, it is still inconvenient and can be a big hassle if your kids are so in awe of the thing that they can't seem to make themselves leave it alone.
6.      You can't jump on your bed. Sometimes, when the inner child in me breaks loose, it's fun to jump on my bed. Just sayin'. Jumping on this one could prove to be a seriously painful and costly mistake. No fun.
awww, no jumping allowed!
Now, to be fair, let me tell you the 6 things I DO like about my Sleep Number bed:
  1. You can choose your softness/firmness separately from the other person's side. He likes soft, you like firm? Not a problem with the Sleep Number.
  2. When you roll or move around, it doesn't convey to the other person's side. I move a LOT at night, so I'm glad I'm not keeping my hubby awake with my sleep aerobics.
  3. You won't roll toward the middle when it has aged, thanks to those two separate air chambers. Our last standard type mattress ended up with this issue around year 10 of it's life. That's why we started looking for a new mattress, which led to this purchase. We both would end up all over each other (not in a good way), waking each other up, and not sleeping soundly.
  4. When my husband was able to adjust his bed to where he wanted it, his body aches and pains decreased. So, it really did help with that, just like they claim. I don't claim that it will help you, though. I can only tell you that it helped him.
  5. If you happen to change over time, you can change your mattress with the touch of a button. Maybe you gain or lose weight. Maybe you get aches or pains. You can adjust your side's air chamber with the touch of a button. No need for a new mattress.
  6. You won't have to worry about the kids jumping on the bed (see #6 above). Sometimes, the grownup in me wants the bed to look nice & pretty, not a disheveled mess.

I'm sure there are scores of people who adore their Sleep Number bed. I'm not one of them. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy something else. Not sure what. I've got at least 9 more years to figure that out.